In 1982 Ray and Wayne Thompson, along with their wives Ann and Teresa, re-established a long tradition of maple syrup production on Ray's parents farm on the west shore of Clayton Lake.
A used 3 1/2' x 12' Lightning Evaporater was
purchased and moved into the sugar camp Ray's father had built in 1954.
In the first year, they gathered sap from 1000 buckets. In 1984, the
main part of the existing camp was built and a 5' x 16' wood fired Waterloo
Evaporater was purchased. A 2' x 5'oil finisher was added at this time
along with 1200 taps on pipeline. After a few years, the existing arch
was converted to oil since it was too difficult to maintain a good supply
of wood to fuel the evaporator.
|In the spring of 1997, an additional 400 taps were added to bring production for the farm to 2600 taps. Disaster struck on July 12, 1997 as a tornado-microburst hit the heart of the main maple stand. This resulted in a loss of 70% of the pipeline system and about 600 taps. The clean-up took three months and all of the damaged trees were removed. The January 1998 ice storm resulted in the loss of an additional 200 taps.|
The Thompson's plan to market more syrup at the sugar camp and have added a stage for entertainment, as well as additional parking area, outdoor displays and new nature trails. Visitors are always welcome.
Call 613-256-1826 or email Thompsontown Maple Products for information.
|©2007 Thompsontown Maple Products|